Saturday, March 1, 2008

4 bad ears + 1 good doctor = one happy mom!

this title might not make any sense.. let me explain. all of my girls have had bad ear problems. Haylee and Hanna both got tubes in their ears when they were one.... eventually the tubes fall out and normally kids grow out of ear infections.. not the case with my girls. Haylee's ear drum has burst twice since then, Hanna was constantly getting ear infections and was having a really hard time hearing, and now Maci has had 6 double ear infections in about 7 months... so time for tubes again!! Haylee seems to be growing out of the infections, but i was really worried about Hanna's hearing and Maci was constantly in the dr. office... so i made lots of trips to tempe to meet with our awesome ENT (ear nose and troat dr.) we got the surgery scheduled for Feb. 28th for Hanna and maci... so again i made a quick trip to mesa. i stayed the night on wed. (we went by my inlaws house and my father in law and brother in law, brian, gave the girls a blessing (wayne has been working so much and not been home, so i forgot to ask him!) i am so thankful for the priesthood and awesome men who hold it!


thurs. morning we had to be at the surgery center @ 6:45am. my good friend tami farnsworth came with me. she was a huge help!( wayne had to work) the girls couldn't eat or drink before the surgery. Hanna and maci both played great in the waiting room. then a nurse comes and takes the girls (maci first) and about 15 minutes later the dr. came back and told us everything went well...(he said maci had double ear infections that day!) then they took hanna back for surgery. the dr. said that hanna had more mucus in her ear than he had seen in a long time. (no wonder she couldn't hear) it is a quick surgery with a quick recovery... i am SO happy to have the surgery done. hopefully now we won't be in and out of the dr. office and the girls won't have so much pain when they get an ear infection! Hanna is already hearing better. it's so great!
in the waiting room...

after the surgery... this says it all for maci...when she came out of the anestesia (sp?) she was so mad! i couldn't calm her down. i gave her a drink and a cracker and she threw it at me.. then she would snuggle me and then start crying again and hit me. i don't think she had any clue what was going on.. after a nap on the drive home, she was great!
hanna did awesome and didn't cry at all. i don't know why the color on this picture is so wierd, but hanna thought it was awesome to ride in a wheelchair out to the car. she was so good!!

21 comments:

Randy and Jenni Bryce said...

I'm so glad everything went so well. Yay for modern medicine!

Steven and Kami Palmer said...

That is so funny about how Maci was acting after coming out of it! I was so silly after my wisom teeth. Good job Maci and Hanna! However, Hannan, now there is no excuse to act like you don't hear your mom!

Jen & Blake said...

I am so glad to hear that things went well. That had to be really frustrating with all their ear problems and dr. visits. We hope they are doing better and feeling great!

Amber H. said...

I had no idea your girls were having so many ear problems! I'm so sorry! Ear infections are the WORST! I can't imagine having to go through all of that. I hope it will all be over soon! Thank goodness for a great doctor! I also have to say I love that last picture...kind of has a seventies vibe about it! :o)

Deanne Wahl said...

I am so glad it all went well! I wish I could have seen you while you were down. Maci is hilarious. I can totally picture her throwing her fit. Please give the girls a hug from me and I will see you in 7 Days!!!!

Sommer said...

Those girls are troopers. I'm glad they are feeling & hearing a lot better.

The Welker Family said...

I think that I may be going through the same thing soon here with Dani. She gets ear infections all of the time too. Abby already got one at 2 1/2 months too. It's good to see that the surgery for tubes isn't as scary as it seems.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel aboutr ear problems. Houston has had the same thing. He had tubes put in his ears in Jan. plus had his tonsils and anoids taken out. I hope they start to feel better.
Crista

Mary-Sunshine said...

Oh my goodness, this almost makes me sick! I am so sorry for those little precious loves! I hope this makes things easier for them!

The Skousen's said...

I am glad everything went well. Hopefully you find some relief now.

Dizzy Kate said...

It was so fun to see all of you on Sunday. I REALLY miss having you around all the time. I am so happy that the tubes all worked out. That is sad that they keep getting ear infections. I hope the ear infections will stop now that they have gotten tubes.

daveandlisa said...

Poor things. I hope they start feeling better. Talon had to go through the same thing last year while we were in Flagstaff only they took his tonsils and adenoids out at the same time. He was very mad at anyone who came near him when he woke up after the surgery. It was so very sad.

Stephanie Walker said...

Wow! Doesn't sound fun at all! Hopefully things will be better now. Is Tami Farnsworth the same one that was in the ward with us in Chandler???

Sarah Pace said...

Ahh, how sad poor girls! Hanna looks so cute! Austin just loves Hanna!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that they got there ears fixed, you guys have the worst luck for ear infections, its starting to scare me to have a kid of my own!! I am glad that things are better, there ears are fixed, and that Maci has quit beating her mom:) That made me laugh!! I can just see it all!! Hope everything else is going wonderful!!

Carl and Starla said...

Ok, so I've totally been there done that tube thing with Skye and myself...I had them twice as a kid. I will tell you, when they finally took out my tonsils, my ear infections stopped. Anyway, I hope the tubes work! It definitely did with Skye.

Ami Bethea said...

Oh that picture of Maci is soo sad! How frustrating to have all of those ear infections. You are such a good mommy to take all of that on by yourself. Hopefully the girls will be healthier and happy now, how horrible not to be able to hear! Glad everything went well.

Maranda Whittle said...

Hey Candace got married in Safford at the City Hall. It was nice!

Tifani said...

I am so glad that it all went well. I know those stinkin surgerys can be so scary!! Every one of my kids has had surgery sometime in their little life and it can be a bit over whelming. Cambry was just 8 months old and they let me go in with her at Phoenix childrens hospital until they had her completely out! That was the hardest thing for me. glad to hear it went well!

Becky said...

Dang, I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. I'm glad everything went good. Good luck with the new tubes!

azandersens said...

Izzy had tubes last year and it was heaven. You are brave to go to the surgery center all by yourself for multiple surgeries! Cute pics.