Saturday, March 15, 2008

In memory of my cute little niece, Aubrey

Last week my awesome brother (Steven), and his awesome wife(Kami) had their first baby! They knew before she was born that she had trisomy 18 and would not live very long. Last week they went in for a sonogram (38 weeks along) and found out that Aubrey had passed on. Kami then delivered a perfect baby! Aubrey Ruth Palmer was 4 lbs. 2 oz. She was so beautiful! I am so thankful to have got to hold her and feel her sweet spirit. It has been a great teaching time for my girls. We have prayed for Aubrey through the whole pregnancy. I am so thankful to be a member of this church and know that one day Steven and Kami will get to raise their sweet baby! I can't wait to see her again. The whole experience was so heartbreaking and wonderful at the same time. Steven and Kami are the most amazing people I have ever met. They are my heros. The have handled this like I could never imagine! They are so strong and have been the ones comforting us! Aubrey is so lucky to have them for her parents!
Our family at the graveside. It was a beautiful memorial!
Haylee and Hanna with their balloons with notes to Aubrey
We all wrote messages to Aubrey and sent them up to Heaven!
Our family with Steven and Kami. The memorial was the day after Kami delivered! She was such a trooper. I love these two!!
This was so heartbreaking. No one thinks that they will have to bury their child!


Look whose the one comforting.. Kami... amazing
My cute girls.. Haylee and Hanna made Aubrey braclets before she was born. Aubrey was burried with those braclets on!



32 comments:

Shawna said...

I don't know what to say...I've had people close to me deal with this sort of thing and there are so many emotions. Your brother and sis-in-law seem amazing!

Ashley said...

I agree, Steven and Kami are AMAZING! What a beautiful baby! I am so grateful for the gospel. I simply cannot imaging life without it. You are a great sister and I'm sure they've appreciated your support.

Cicily said...

What an amazing couple they are. I broke out in tears as I read this post. I have no idea how I would deal with that sort of thing, but I hope that I would have the same strength and faith that they have. What a darling girl they will have.

Tifani said...

You guys are truly an amazing family and I have always thought that! I am so sorry for your loss! Your sweet sweet family is in our prayers! We love you!

Carl and Starla said...

Maryann- loosing someone is so hard, especially a baby. I am sorry for your family.

Stephanie Walker said...

I am so sad for you. I'm glad your brother and his wife are doing well. It is such a blessing to know we will be with our families forever!

Jen & Blake said...

Wow, that is very sad, but amazing experience at the sametime. It is times like these when you are so thankful for eternal families:)

Ami Bethea said...

I'm so sorry Mary Ann. Unfortunately I know how you feel! It is so heartbreaking to see a baby pass on, and such a learning experience as you said. I'm sorry for your family and so thankful for eternal families! When we all die we are going to have one heck of a party. Hope your family holds up well over the next few weeks. We will keep you all in our prayers.

Dizzy Kate said...

I have tears running down my cheeks. That is very sad. I'm so thankful for the gospel too! I don't know how people get through these things with out the knowledge that we will all see our loved ones again. That is so sweet that your girls made bracelets and also have gained a testimony about the plan of salvation. We will be thinking about Steven and kami at this time.

Cass and Natalia said...

It is great to know what we know, and they seem like a wonderful couple. And they are lucky to have you guys as family to support them also. I need to go hug & kiss my kids.

Anonymous said...

This posted made me cry!! I am so glad that they have such a great outlook on everything!!

Tiff Hunt said...

This post made me bawl my eyes out! Steven and Kami are amazing! I don't think I would have been that strong. What an amazing couple.

Haymore Family said...

I think they are such amazing a strong people! i love steve so much, please send my love!

Joe and Laura said...

Thank you for sharing that, it makes me feel so greatful for life an realize just how fragile it is. Especially feel greatful for the church and our believes.

Miken Harding said...

All I can say is thank goodness for the gospel. What an anchor to have to hold on too. I'm so sorry for their loss. What a challenge, but a blessing of courage and strenght for everyone else.

Kristal said...

Amazing pictures, so emotional. That picture of you and your brother makes me want to have half a million kids like your parents did.
I'm so sorry about yours and their loss. What a blessing that they are so strong and faithful.

Maranda Whittle said...

Your mom is my visiting teacher, so she's been informing me about everything. I never really knew Steven and Kami, but they are such an inspiration to me!

See it Try it Love it said...

What a heartbreaking story. It is such a blessing that we know that families can be together again. I hope that everyone is doing well. We miss you.

Haymore Family said...

hey im coming this weekend will you be there! i will totally come see you!

Lisa said...

You know, there are things we don't understand. My biggest fear is losing my husband or one of my children. I think about Becky and now read about your brother and sister-in-law...I don't think I am that strong. But I do know the Lord blesses us with knowledge and comfort when we need it and he will not give us any trial he knows we cannot handle. Our prayers our with your family.

Ashlee Draper said...

They are so amazing! I can't even imagine, but I know that they are so strong, and will make it through okay, they are still definately in my prayers! You are the cutest though...are you coming to the Layton Fam Picnic on Saturday?? Hopefully I'll see ya there!

Sommer said...

Darling pictures and memories. You have such a strong family. Our prayers and condolences are with you.

Erin said...

I don't know if you remember me, but I just had to comment. This post made me bawl my eyes out. Stephen and Kami are so great! I love their attitudes about this experience and I can't imagine it being handled in a better way. This same thing happened to my sister and one of her babies and I know how emotional it can be! At the same time, it's such a bonding and learning experience for a family when something like this happens. I'm glad that I got to hear about this story. It's a great example of how we all should be.

Heather K said...

Mary Ann,
Hey I don't know if you remember me but I was cruising thru blogs working a night shift at the hospital and saw your sad post. I have a friend in AZ who also lost a baby to Trisomy 18. She posts about it on a blog and is really sweet. Maybe they could comfort each other somehow? Let me know if you want me to contact her for them. Heather (jones) Kelsey
http://heatherkelsey.blogspot.com/

Kristi said...

My Mom had called me and told me the day Aubrey came and I cried for like a week over her. I started all over today reading your post. I am grateful that Steve and his wife are such amazing examples for us all! I am amazed by the strength you have all shown in this hard time! We love you and you are all in our prayers.
Also - I love that your girls made her bracelets, what an amazing thing for them to get to do for her.
And was the picture of the feet with the quote really Aubreys feet? That is such a beautiful tribute!

Leah said...

Sweet Maryanne
I'm so sorry to hear about this horrible loss. Wow I have tears in my eyes. I will be praying for your sweet family and Steven and his wife. Hugs...

Jill Rogers said...

Seeing Kami comforting your sweet girls totally made me cry! I've had a chance to see Steven's blog and it just amazes me to see his faith in his face. I can't imagine having to place that sweet little girl down to be buried, and then to have to walk away. I would be a complete MESS!! Please give Steven and Kami my love. I've always really admired Steven, he's always been so strong and kind. Through the refiners fire comes the steal- I hope one day I can be as strong as he and his sweetheart have been.

My prayers are with your guys' family.

-Jill (Griffin) Rogers

kemra said...

This made me cry - Saying "I'm sorry" doesn't seem like enough - but I don't really have words. Aubrey is so blessed to have such a strong family. We will be praying for you and for your brother & sister-in-law. I'm so grateful for the gospel - esp. in times like these.

Kerrie said...

This totally made me think of my neice Stephanie passing. We are all given what we each can handle. I grew seeing my sister handle Stephanie's death and have grown reading about Steven and Camie's experience with Aubrey. How grateful I am for good examples of handling hard times the right way! Please send my love.

Kerrie said...

ps-it was fun seeing you last sunday! I wish i would have already read this and could have given you a 'better' hug! Just pretend, k?! :)

Natalie said...

I didn't see this post last time I looked at your blog. I probably got distracted by my kids before I could look through your entire blog. I was just going to reply to your comment on my page but I'm glad I decided to look at your blog again. I'm sorry you had to go through this but I feel your pain and joy! Wyatt was my little cousin. His mom is like a sister to me! He died a couple of weeks ago. They don't know for sure what happened but his heart was enlarged. It happened really fast. Thank goodness for the gospel!!

Anonymous said...

My heart aches! I was telling Deanne how Heavenly Father is so amazing and how much he helps. I find myself realizing how much He has helped after the fact. I don't know how I make it throught some days, but it is always Him how helps me.