Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wood or Tile??

Okay, most of you know by now that we are moving to Thatcher! I am so excited, and sad, and scared, and happy. Now that Wayne is a CPA, he is going to own his own accounting firm there. It is what he has always wanted to do. It is home for me and I have 5 other siblings there and my parents. It is a great place to raise a family, but I am sad to leave my amazing friends here and leave this convenient lifestyle! Anyway, one exciting thing about Thatcher is that we are having a new home built. We are going down this weekend to pick out our flooring. I love the look of wood floors (we won't get real wood because of the price), but I have heard good and bad about both wood and tile floors. Let me know your opinion. I'm not so good at making decisions, so maybe you can make mine! :)

11 comments:

April Bethea said...

Well, I know it's probably not much help, and it's a no-brainer, but I just have to tell you to NOT get white tile! We have it in our house (I have NO idea why someone would do that) & we hate it! A very strong word, but it is the truth! Have fun choosing, it sounds like fun!

Aut said...

One word for you...grout! It is the worst! I would definately go with the wood and swiffer the day away!!

Ami Bethea said...

Sean said that tile is way better, the fake or real wood isn't worth the hassle to maintain, keep it clean and looking nice. His vote is tile. I personally LOVE wood but I would probably go with tile myself. We chose darker tile with darker grout in our current house and it has paid off because you can hardly tell when it is dirty and looks nice but it depends on the colors of your house. That probably didn't help you at all but I hope you have a great time picking out your flooring! I always love that part the most about getting a new house. I'm excited for you guys, but we will miss having you around for sure! No more meeting at the mall...darn!

Anonymous said...

I dont know much about flooring, or anything for that matter, but I have "heard" a few opinions. Although I do love the look of wood, I have heard that it is a pain to keep up. And I dont know anything about tile, arent you grateful for my opinion! :P

Cass and Natalia said...

How exciting for you! I'll drop my opinion, I have the fake wood floors and I do love them, easy to clean, no grout, etc. The only downfall, if a sippie cup or something spills and doesn't get cleaned up soon enough, it can warp, mine is still fine (thankfully) but it happened at our old house (not too bad). Tile is nice too, whatever you choose I know your house will be beautiful, you've got that decorating touch! Good luck and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Fo with tile, and just get a tan color, and get the grout sealed properly there is a techinically name I just learned buying our house, and then the grout doesn't change colors, and stays nice, and lasts longer than wood. Just my opinion. Wood sounds a little high maintance, but I do love the look too.

Anonymous said...

I meant go with tile!! I am such a dork, I came back to say I am really glad you find so many people like Stacey and Justin, b/c it makes it fun for me!! HORRAY!! Well have a great night, and really you can pick whatever colory you want just probably not a too light of color, or you might be hating life, trust me.

Tammie said...

I would say go with the fake wood! Whenever I walk on anyones tile floors the always feel gross and gritty from any dirt or dust that will always be on your floor! I hate that feeling and then my feet are always dirty! Yuck!!

emmielou said...

Hey girly. I set up my blog now. Your's is very cute by the way. Your girls are just so dreamy! Anyway my site is http://emilyandjdee.blogspot.com/
So, now we can keep in touch. Good luck with your move. Emily

Jen & Blake said...

Congrats on the big news! We are really excited for you guys, but will miss running into you guys. Thank goodness for Blogs so we can still keep in touch:) As for my vote, my parents have wood and although it is really beautiful and soft when you are standing in the kitchen a lot. But it does take more to keep it clean. Tile is a little easier to maintain (I think) and if you go with dark grout I don't think you can go wrong! Hope this helps:)

kh said...

You are moving to Thatcher!!! I didn't know that! I am sooo happy for you! And so happy for Wayne to do what he has always wanted, not many have that privledge.

So about the floors. Go with wood. I have both tile and wood in my home and hands down wood is best. I don't have the real expensive stuff either, I think mine is just Pergo, but maintenance is much easier with wood. With kids, things get dropped all the time and tile cracks. It will be a pain to replace them when needs be, but with wood, that is not even an issue. For cleaning I just use a swiffer wet mop every week and it does the job! Though wood and tile can enhance the sound of things, where as carpet helps to soften the daily sounds, wood is easier to clean and it's basically maintenance free.

Go with the wood.

Hurray! You are building a house! Yeah for new houses and happy futures!

Good Luck to you Layton's! Keep blogging!