Monday, November 19, 2007

Piano

Wayne and I want to get a piano. We both play a little bit, but want our kids to learn! and I actually wouldn't mind taking lessons even now. I was looking on craigslist and saw some good prices, but I'm wondering if it matters the "brand" of piano. ... or is a piano just a piano?

10 comments:

Amber H. said...

I'm glad you posted this question because I've been wondering the same thing! We've been thinking of getting one in the next year because we want to start Felicity on lessons by the time she is 7 and I wouldn't have thought Crag's List. Thanks for the tip!

Dizzy Kate said...

Yes, the brand of piano does matter. My parents have a very good brand and it sounds exactly the same as the day they bought it. But it is like with everything else, the good brands cost more. I know it sounds funny, but it is like a car. A good made car won't have as many problems and will last longer. :)Good luck!

BandHGardner said...

MaryAnn!

I am so excited to have found you in the blogging world. Your family is getting so big. It seems like yesterday that you were my roommate and I was watching you and Wayne oogle over each other. :)

Btw, the brand of the piano is extremely important especially if you are planning on keeping the piano for a long time. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. You can e-mail me at hollyanngardner@gmail.com

Holly (Farnsworth) Gardner

Chelsie said...

Hey I was wondering the exact same thing. I have recently looked on craigslist too because Doug and I want to get a piano as well. I will have to keep it a secret from my parents though because I took lessons FOREVER while I was little and refused to practice and act like I liked it! We both have great memories of the days when we played the piano. It's something every child needs to learn!

Amber H. said...

So how come no one wants to post the name of the piano?? Mary Ann, you will have to post it on here for us that don't get access to your e-mails! I want to know too!

Dizzy Kate said...

Hi again. I guess I should have written the brand of piano that I like the best (especially if you are looking for an upright piano and not a grand - hee! hee!) I like Yamaha pianos. There are some really tinny sounding, cheaply made pianos out there. I know that you are probably not looking for something super expensive, but hopefully you can find something like a Yamaha. There is also a cereal number in each piano so you can find out exactly how good/bad of shape the piano is in. Okay, I don't want this post to be forever long. There is a website that I like about pianos. It is a girls opinion about pianos, but she definitely knows what she is talking about. The website is: http://www.serve.com/marbeth/piano_brands.html

Good Luck. I want to hear what you decide. : )

Tiff Hunt said...

You know who you should ask, Maren Platt. I don't know if you remember her, but she is super good at the piano. I will ask my sister-in-law too. Good luck!

Ami Bethea said...

Hey I have a Yamaha that I LOVE. It is a baby grand and the best present I have ever gotten in my life (a bday present from Sean a couple years ago). I love Yamaha because it has a great sound that just floats around the room. Kawai is what all the LDS churches have but I don't like that brand because it sounds muted, like you need to press hard to get the sound out or something. If you are thinking of buying a brand new one, let me know because I get a HUGE discount at Washburn piano in Mesa. Good luck!

Miken Harding said...

I wish I was your teacher!!! I'm teaching here in Texas and have 3 students, 9 by the 1st of the year. The brands to matter, but if you want to start off with a beater-that you can afford do it! There are great deals on craigslist. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey you! I love your Christmas card by the way. Thanks for thinking of us.
Ok Cam and I bought a piano a year ago. We did a ridiculous amount of research because we can't help ourself. Like all the other comments the nicer the piano the better the quality but, if you want a piano for only a couple hundred bucks to play on and learn honestly it doesn't matter.
I teach piano and I have had some by their pianos off of craiglist and they are happy. Eventually if you want to upgrade just sell the one you have on craigslist for the same price and get a better one. It's always good to see if you will actually use the piano before you spend a ton of money on one.