Haylee has been printing her name on her assignments at school as "Hay Hay"... She's so cute! Well my cute hubby is off to Mesa for a continuing education class.. so what else would I be doing besides blogging! (I hate when he is gone!) I have been meaning to write my feeling about my sweet Haylee. I remember when she was my first and only child. We had so much fun together, just the two of us. We were like best friends. I still love being with her and we still always talk, but those are sweet memories! I am so thankful to have Haylee in our family! I love her beautful hair and cute freckles! Our family wouldn't be the same without her. She is such a big help with her sisters. She is learning so fast and is so much like Wayne (no wonder I love her so much!) There have been a couple things lately that have happened with her that I want to remember...
The other day Hay came home from school and our routine was pretty normal coming back from the bus stop:
Me: "How was your day"
Hay: "Good"
Me: "Who did you play with" (a question I ask about every day"
Hay: Anna, Taylor, Kenon (I had her the first two names but not the 3rd)
Me: "Is Kenon a boy or girl"
Hay: "A boy"
Me: (curious) "What did you guys do?"
Hay: "Just walked around and played on the swings... Kenon is a boy in my class. His mom came in to class and told us he learned to read when he was little, but he can't talk very well. He is different, so I wanted to play with him!"
Ok.. I about cried! I was so proud. I know that might now seem like a big deal to anyone else, but I thought it was awesome! One thing I definately want to teach my kids is to be nice to EVERYONE and treat them all nice! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of you, as long as you are doing what's right!
Our other experience was a little different. It was right before bedtime, Hay had just finished brushing her teeth. She came in to talk to me and said:
Hay: "Mom, someone at school said I don't brush me teeth good enough"
Me: (trying not to be mad) "what? who said that? why?"
Hay: ____ (I won't write her name)
She tries to tell me more and then starts SOBBING!! I couldn't stand it! I just held her in my arms and got teary eyed and waited until she could talk. She has a cavity in middle of her two front teeth, so I thought maybe that was why they said something. So again I asked...
Me: "why did they say that?"
Hay: "because of my silver teeth. She said if her mom told her that if she doesn't brush good enough she will have to get these" (Haylee has been proud of her silver teeth up until this point. He dentist calls them her princess teeth)
I told Haylee that she is beautiful no matter what anyone else says and that her silver teeth are so cute! I tried to make her understand it doesn't matter what other people think. Again this might not seem like a big deal, but it was my first experience with some one making fun on my girl! My heart hurt in a whole new spot! I hated to see her so upset and heartbroken. I was so glad she would come talk to me. I told her to tell the girl if they ever say anything again to tell them that her mom would bust them up! (I know not the best idea, but that's what I felt like!) She felt better once we talked and hasn't had any problems since, but wow.. I am in for a wakeup call when I have 3 teenage girls!! I love them all and I'm lucky to be their mom!!

23 comments:
Oh my gosh, you are so funny Maryann! I love what you told her to say to that little girl. Haha! I feel like we have a lot in common having a little girl first. I just love having a girl and getting to spend my whole day with her and loving every second of it...seriously. There is such a special bond with girls and I kinda worried about it being "too good to be true" like I wouldn't feel that way when I had other kids and she was older, but I can see from your feelings that it doesn't go away. Your little Hay Hay is so cute!
What a sweetie pie. Your girls are going to be such great friends to everyone. With you as their mom I can't imagine them being anything but a wonderful loving girl who is nice to all. If not for your kindness and great personality EA would have been a whole different experience for me. Thanks so much for being my friend and I do intend to come up and visit. Miss you.
You are such a good mom and Haylee is a beautiful girl. Kids can be pretty brutal. She is so sweet and that is all chalked up to parenting. Good job to you and Wayne!
Haylee is so cute! Love the picture! I love that she plays with that boy who is a little different, what a sweetheart! Sad that some kids just say ugly things. Glad she would talk to you. You are a great MOM! Tell Layton hi and we miss you all!
Aw, Maryann, you are teaching them so well. I think I'm going to be so emotional with my future kids. When I hear your stories I get teary eyed, when I hear of my young women standing up for their beliefs, I get teary eyed. Where do these emotions come from?! I don't think I'll be able to stand mother's pain for her child. I'm going to be such a wuss. :) Anyway, I don't blame your pride in your loving and accepting daughter, and the feeling of pain for the teasing.
We just had something happen with Felicity where a boy in her class hurt her feelings. She was bawling saying she didn't think she was a good person, because if she was, he would like her and wouldn't be mean. I wanted to go punch that kid in the face! I just try and tell myself these are good life experiences for them to help prepare them for later in life, but being a mom is hard! Especially when others try to hurt our sweet little ones! Those are very sweet stories. She sounds like an amazing little girl :o)
I'm trying not to cry. Okay, I'm a little emotional lately. I'm so proud of Haylee for playing with that sweet boy. I'm trying to teach Kendra that it doesn't matter what others think, it only matter if you are doing what is right. It is hard sometimes to get across. My heart ached for Haylee about her princess teeth. I think kids only notice what is "different" about other kids. Kendra has had to go through it with the heart monitor being hooked to her all the time. I love Haylee's school picture. She is so cute and I especially like her princess teeth.
Just tell me who the girl is & I'm flying over there right now to TP her house!
Ok, maybe not the BEST solution but sometimes kids are just punks! Haylee is beautiful. I love the story about her playing with that boy...it reminded me of a boy named Marcos at my elementary school. (KT can tell you about him) Anyway, I'm proud of Haylee for coming to you to talk to you about her feelings!
Maryann,
I can't see of picture of you and not be happy!! I don't know how I found your blog, but I did, and was so happy to see your sweet family. What pretty little girls you have, (wow did that sound like the wicked witch of the west, or what?) Anyway, so good read your blog and catch up! I was happy to find a picture of your dad on here too. He made college so awesome! I love that guy, tell him hello!
Trachel
Bless her heart! I always felt bad when I was young because I had fillings. My mom was so confused I was the best tooth brusher and had more cavities than my brother who wasn't as good and had none. It is true if you don't brush you will get them... but it is not a guarentee. It is hard when that happens you wish kids had more...tact... but then again they are kids.
Seriously!? You see what I'm talking about here! LIttle kids are punks! I know my J does his fair share of bullying, we've been "busting him up" about it this last week because I heard him call a little girl ugly after she yelled some mean things to him after school the other day. But when you hear the things other people's kids say to your kids it really does make you want to go over to their house in the middle of the night and cut off all of theirhair and write LOSER on their forehead with permanent marker right? or is that just me!?
Oh my goodness what a sweetheart! You are such an awesome Mom!!!! I have a rough time with what kids say to Emma sometimes too. It is so hard to let them out into the "real world"!!!!
We love Haylee! I know what you mean about her being like your best friend. I feel the same way about Kiley. I know what you mean about being mad about someone hurting her. My newest post is about how much I dislike mean people, and this includes kids. I can't stand to have my babies hurt! Oh I get so mad! I know it is part of growing up but it still bothers me. I've been questioning Kiley since I read this asking if she said anything rude to Hay. She swears she didn't, but if it's her, tell me. Can't wait till Thursday; it will be fun.
RUDE!! Ok that is so mean, well you know me, I probably would "accidently" bump into the mom in a not so nice way!! Or maybe fight them who knows:) Just b/c she hot and their not, b/c she has cool teeth, WOW my kids will probably be crazy!! If I was there I would do what I ususally did, give them dirty looks etc!!:)
The 1st grade girls this year are unusually mean to eachother. I wonder where they're getting it from!?
I love hearing about her being so sweet to Kenon, as you know my sis-in-law is his aid, so I know what a hard time he has at school. She really is a beautiful little girl and such a sweet heart!!
Especially missing you @ church today. Really it's not quite the same. Do you ever make it over here to these neck of the woods? If so I would love to connect.
Poor Girl! What is this world coming to when 1st graders are like that!!
On another note, what a sweet girl for wanting to play with that little boy! You are such a good mom for raising her that way!
Oh, those are such cute stories! You do have a little angel!
Oh, those are such cute stories! You do have a little angel!
Love Hay's new pic. and Love that hair! To bad you didn't live closer her and Emmy would be the best of friends just hearing your stories reminds me of Emmy!
What a special, special girl. Who have to be a proud mom for that one. It is hard to see our children hurt.
I totally agree with you on this post. I hate to hear it when Nathan tells me of mean things that kids say to him. He already struggles with his self esteem I don't look forward to the upcoming years.
That is so sweet. I am really excited and a little scared for my girls to get older. I am hoping that they will come talk to me about everything and not excited about them getting hurt. You are such a great mom!!!!
Post a Comment